Tuesday, February 2, 2010

59 Seconds: A book review


I just finished listening to an adiobook version of the book 59 Seconds: Think a Little, Change a Lot by Richard Wiseman. Here is the review I submitted to audible.com.

THE book for self-help seekers

My rating: 5 out of 5

I first heard of Richard Wiseman through the skeptical podcasts and blogs I frequent. And true to the skeptical point of view, this book is based on EVIDENCE. Indeed, evidence is front-and-centre right from the start. Every behavioural suggestion and piece of advice is backed by an experiment (a refreshing change from The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle). That's what separates this book from all the other self-help woo that's out there. Lots of books make claims that sound intuitive, but reality can often be very counter-intuitive. And this book has lots of examples. Here's one: praising children for their achievements can actually inhibit their progress by making them anxious about failure, while praising children for their effort encourages them to work hard and challenge themselves. Hmmm!

This audiobook is SO good, I went and bought the hardcover too.

[From intelligent-falling.blogspot.com]

1 comment: