Saturday, October 10, 2009

Paid in full. Thanks Jesus!

We went to the Oktoberfest pancake breakfast today, and as we waited in line an older gentleman handed me a piece of paper. Of course, it's a religious pamphlet (maybe some day I'll walk around handing out atheistic pamphlets... that would be different). The front of it says "Paid in full", to look like a banker's stamp. Here is a sampling of the wisdom from within it's folds.
  • Did you know that you are in debt because of your sin?
  • Do you realize what the cost of your sin debt will bring in eternity?
  • Have you heard that your sin debt has been paid in full?
  • Will you believe the Bible, the record of what God has done for you?
  • Will you trust the eternity of your soul completely to Jesus Christ?
  • Remember, you must trust Jesus and NOTHING ELSE? (their emphasis)
Among the myriad of Bible quotes, we are treated to 2-Thessalonians 1:8-9,
In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of Lord Jesus Christ: Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power.
Doesn't this sound like extorsion? "Hey bub, we'll take care of your sins, see, but you better keep those prayments comin'. We'd hate to see you end up in hell, get it?"

Finally, on the back it gives two check-boxes. You can check either A or B.
    A. I choose to trust Jesus Christ and His finished payment for my sin debt.
    B. I choose to reject the payment of Jesus Christ and trust my payment.
I'd like to suggest a 3rd option?
    C. I take full responsibility for my actions, sinful or not, and don't believe for a second that anyone should - or could - take the fall for me. Thanks anyway, big J.

No comments:

Post a Comment